Sunday, October 5, 2008

Here's one I prepared earlier....

Back when I was the production manager for a high profile exclusive label (I may be exaggerating slightly), my good friend and fashion designer, Elly, dyed these squares of fabric for stitching onto tops. Somewhere along the way, I inherited the leftovers. I stitched some onto this beautiful yellow wool blanket some time ago and today I dyed some more squares. Admittedly, the ones I did today are far more dyed than the originals (not necessarily intentional), and I'm not sure which I like more. (Feel free to give your opinion - I'm keen for some feedback).

The plan is for this idea to be turned into some some lovely cushions (which will feature in my etsy shop!!). I have a collection of pure wool blankets which are begging to be cut up and reused, and who am I to say no? Alas, my wool blanket collection resides 5477 km (that's 3403 miles) away. Thankfully, my assistant is going to send me some panels to play around with (thanks, ma). Stay tuned for the results....

In other news, I've been super inspired by Heather and Jesse's ceramics for quite a while now. I've started making contacts locally and designing my own range. I'm really excited about what I've come up with. I look forward to showcasing my wares in (hopefully) the not too distant future.

Until then....


5 comments:

painted fish studio said...

i can't wait to see it all!

Heather Moore said...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Rabbit and the Duck said...

Cushions from wool blankets = delicious! Can't wait to see how they turn out! Wool is such a nice material to work with isn't it?

Alex Sunday said...

its beautiful to work with! mainly because it's so snuggly. though it is sometimes hard to cut up a fantastic blanket. as a result, i have some lovely bedding now. :)

Jesse said...

The squares are going to work well as cushions!

Very excited to hear that you're going to venture into ceramics - it really is such fun. If there's anything you need to know, I'm happy to share anything I've learned.