Saturday, August 14, 2010

I don't want a pickle....

So finally I've photographed the plate I was commissioned to make for friends to commemorate the birth of their son Arlo. What a great project! I was given a brief by the parents - please include motorbikes and pickles. This is in reference to an Arlo Guthrie song. It's a laugh - you should check it out.

This plate was made using the same technique as my "pleased to meet you" plates. It was nice to work in colour this time. I'm not sure that the above photo shows off how vibrant the colours are so I've included an enhanced image below. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I stayed with the hand drawn look, and my colouring in the wreath is intentionally messy. This was at first just to get a quick idea of colours, but i liked the look so decided to avoid keeping in the lines. 6 plates were made, mainly as gifts for grandparents.

This was really fun, and something I'd love to do more of. Perhaps I'll just have to start creating my own events to commemorate.

4 comments:

painted fish studio said...

omg, i love, love, LOVE this plate! i need to think of an event for you to commemorate for me...

Elaine Bradley said...

Alex I spotted it on your blog yesterday looks awesome. Completely professional. Well done. Did you buy a kiln? e me sometime.
Elaine

rubyandjoy said...

hello! i really just wanted to say hello...but i shall say something relevant too. i like this plate. you're clever.

Little Jane St said...

Wonderful! My favourite - the pickle:)