Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ah, the sunday project....

So here I am - it's Sunday and I'm reporting on this week's project. Just as things should be....

Having said that, this week I managed to balls up two projects so yesterday afternoon I was ready to throw the whole sunday project thing in. Sewing can be so frustrating!! The first project I stuffed up was the one using Jesse's swatch in the post below. I'm really hoping I can rectify the situation. I think maybe we just need some time apart.

I caught up with my goddaughter-to-be on Thursday. Ok, that's not entirely true. I caught up with her parents. My goddaughter(-to-be) is only a couple of months old so she had some sleeping to do. She's very generous for such a little one. And she already knows me so well! She gave me a patchwork book for my birthday and some pieces of fabric. She's a little Irish lass (and I'm a dirty dingo) and we both find ourselves living here in this foreign land of Aotearoa. Fittingly, she bought me some fantastic Kiwiana fabrics as a tribute to our home away from homes, one of which I used in this week's project....

How cute are those kiwi fruit! The purple stripes have been in my box of fabric for years, along with the black seersucker and cream. Not a bad combo. I cut the fabrics into 5cm wide strips and machine stitched them together. It looked great! Then I thought I'd cut the resulting fabric into strips and sew them back together, ending up with a chequerboard effect. Anyone following? Unfortunately, it turns out my cutting and sewing skills aren't quite as accurate as I thought, and the squares weren't lining up. What to do, what to do? First I moped about a bit, then I decided that perhaps a more random approach would look ok. Here's what I ended up with:

I'm halfway through sewing all the strips together and am happy with how it's looking. When I'm done, I'll have about 60cm x 80cm I think. I'm not sure what I'll use it for. I'm having ideas of a really mental skirt with lace or netting underneath, and just using this as one panel. Ok, when I say that out loud (I take it blogging counts as 'out loud') it sounds pretty wack. Hmm, we'll see what happens. Incidentally, it's only in an embroidery hoop for the photo. I was feeling 'artistic'.

I still have some more catch up blogging to do and will try to get it done before next Sunday.

Until then....

No comments: